Sunday, June 14, 2015

Day Six - Cusco and Travel

Day Six was our last day in Cusco and also included some overnight travel. Alex and Jamie headed out early to grab some breakfast in the town square and Matt and I repeated the same breakfast we'd had in the hotel the morning before (yes, it was just that good). When Alex and Jamie came back, we all showered and prepared to pack up, as we had to be out of our rooms by 1130a. Unfortunately, as I was in our bathroom packing things up, a scream came from our bedroom....Jamie had found a gigantic spider, and it was just hanging out on the wall by her bed. Being afraid of spiders myself, I left through the Maine door of our room into the hallway. Matt was nowhere to be found (what happened to men being the savior when women are in distress?) but I was able to get a cleaning lady to come in and take care of it (she even swept it away). I didn't see said spider, but Jamie insisted it was the size of a donut.

After that commotion, we were able to clear out our room.  We sat in the courtyard of the hotel for a few hours to pass the time until it was time to leave for the airport. We had the front desk call two taxis for us to the Cusco airport. We arrived, and stood in line at the Avianca counter, with no one behind the counter to help anyone. We soon found out that Matt had left his cell phone in his taxi. While Alex, Jamie, and I waited in line, he called the hotel to get the contact information for the cab company. While he was doing that, the cabbie came back and found Matt in the airport to return his phone (lucky bastard). Once we were all whole again, we waited another ten iminutes or so and an agent showed up at the counter to get us moving. Our bags were tagged and we headed off to our gate. We did another customs and carry on check (we were pros by this point), and sat for our two hour wait. When boarding for the flight was called, Jamie and I found (again) that we had a row of three seats to ourselves. As the flight attendants walked up and down the aisles preparing for takeoff, a man in the front row of first class stands up and yells, "GOAL!!!!"  It scared the living bejesus out of me. In America, someone would be kicked off the plane for that kind of behavior....I'm Peru, the flight attendant rushes to the gentleman, gets the score (1-0), and broadcasts it over the intercom. After that debacle, we were ready for takeoff.

The arrival in Lima was uneventful, and we had an almost 3 hour layover in Lima, so the four of us decided to do a sit down dinner near our gate. We found a cute little place that had a good menu, and it just so happened to be right next to our gate. After dinner, Jamie and Alex went off to do some walking and Matt and I sat at the gate to people watch. Jamie, Alex, and I boarded the flight when it was called and Matt stayed behind to catch his different flight. We settled in for a five hour overnight flight back to São Paulo.

No comments:

Post a Comment